DIY Tutorial: Make Your Own Diaper Sprayer

by gidget on August 25, 2008

in green & natural living,simple & frugal living

After getting fed up with poopy cloth diapers (even with my awesome flushable liners I use), I decided it was time to look into a diaper sprayer, which is basically a kitchen sink sprayer on a hose which attaches to the toilet’s water line. I wasn’t interested in buying one for $40 from the diaper companies, so we started looking online on how to make one ourselves. Unfortunately I only found a couple of tutorials, with no pictures!

So, David will be offering his first guest post here on Gidget Goes Home with a step-by-step tutorial on making your own for about half the cost. These parts came out to around $20 at Home Depot and it took maybe 20 minutes to assemble. So without further adieu, I’ll let my knight in shining armor take it away.

DIY Diaper Sprayer tutorial from GidgetGoesHome.com

So Nicole told me one day that she was sick of sticking her hands in the toilet to get Gigi’s poop off those cloth diapers. Before we started using cloth diapers, I would have never guessed that a kitchen sprayer next to the toilet would be so useful (when I told the guy at Home Depot what I was doing, he actually asked if I was making a bidet).

How to make a DIY diaper sprayer

Anyways, here’s a list of the parts I bought for this diaper sprayer. We looked at several versions on the web that used barbed connections and hose clamps. You will find that all the connections in this design are threaded and (probably) less likely to leak.

1) The first thing you need to do is turn off the water that feeds into the toilet supply line.

2) Next, unscrew the toilet supply line from the valve. At this point, I should tell you to make sure that you toilet supply line is flexible. The rest of the procedure won’t be possible if you have a rigid toilet supply line. You can replace your supply line if necessary (or just check all the other toilets in your house until you find a flexible one – that’s what we had to do). It is helpful to have a small dish to catch any excess water that may be left in the toilet supply line.

3) Install the Filter Connector Splicer (fancy name for PVC tube with threaded ends) onto the 1/4″ branch of the T-fitting.

4) Attach the toilet supply line to the upper leg of the T-fitting. For those that haven’t done much plumbing work (which includes me; I am only going off what I have picked up since doing this project), the connection on your toilet supply line is most likely 3/8″ compression threads and that’s what I have assumed as I wrote these instructions.

5) Now you can install the T-fitting onto the valve.

6) To prevent the head of the sprayer from being under constant pressure, install a shut-off valve on the end of the sprayer line.  Install the Compression Connector in the other end of the shut-off valve (you will notice that the 1/4″ pipe threads go into the valve and the 1/4″ compression threads will be free for now). This valve goes in between the Compression Connector and the end of the sprayer line (between the two gold pieces shown below in photo). See next step for photo of the valve.

7) Install the PVC tube onto the 1/4″ compression thread side of the Compression Connector.

8 ) As a general note, I was instructed by the guy at Home Depot (obviously not an Olympian) not to tighten the compression fittings too much. Doing so may shred the washers and leave you with a leaky system. Also, I realized as I was putting the instructions together that it’s possible to install the parts in a different order and still have everything hook up correctly.

9) Once all the connections are properly tightened, turn the water back on to the valve. You will need to play with the pressure to get the right flow out of the sprayer. Also, you may experience some odd behavior from your toilet bowl and tank(running water sounds). I have found that it is just taking the tank longer to fill up (I am not a toilet expert so there may be more to that explanation that I am not equipped to offer).

That’s it. You can now use it to get that poop off without sticking your whole hand in the toilet. And if you are really brave you can start a water fight with your kids (not recommended for bathrooms with carpet).

Cloth Diaper Guide

And if you are new to cloth diapering or checking out, be sure to reference my friend Erin’s very thorough guide!

Disclaimer: These instructions are for inspirational purposes only, and are not from a plumber, but rather a simple DIY family. Feel free to try out and share this tutorial!

CMF October 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I just wanted to add that this is also useful for people not using cloth diapers. I am a Soldier who has traveled extensively in South West Asia and other parts of the muslim world and I have seen these for use where toilet paper isn’t an option. I wanted to add them in my own home as the new “water saving” toilets don’t end up with a clean bowl and you have to flush two or three times. This works better than flushing twice, using the toilet brush, then flushing again. I have seen ones of these in South West Asia that had a little “eye” on the top of the sprayer for hanging on a hook about where the toilet paper role usually is in the west. Anyone aware of a supplier for this in the U.S.?

Paula January 28, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Back in the 60′s my Dad added a hot water mixing valve to the toilet so my Mom wouldn’t freeze her hands off wringing off diapers.

mary d January 31, 2012 at 6:57 am

how much did this cost you?

gidget January 31, 2012 at 9:31 am

Mary, we made this a few years ago, but I think it cost around $20-30, which at the time was about $10-20 less than the ones you could buy.

annette January 31, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Just bought all the stuff tonight at Home Depot, and it came to just over $34. Slightly cheaper than the pre-made ones, and probably better quality! Thanks for your tutorial! So helpful!!!

Natasia January 31, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Good diaper sprayes very similar to the one you would make using this turtorial can be purchased for around $20-$30

Jessica June 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm

if so then could u please share a link everything i bought came out to 28.74 about half the ones i found online and ive been looking the last 6 months!

Annette February 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Also make sure the shut off valve is female male so that once the connector is attached it will be female female

Matt February 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I think this is the best DIY design so far I’ve seen of a sprayer on the internet. I like the fact that it doesn’t require cutting any hoses. One thing I might add is that you need to install a backflow preventer to prevent fecal matter from getting into your water supply. This will raise the price of this project slightly but it’s certainly better than drinking poop! The cheapest one I found is a 3/8 in non-continuous pressure backflow preventer which would mean you would install it right after the shutoff valve you installed and right below the spray nozzle:

Matt February 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Sorry I meant after the added shutoff valve and before the hose to the sprayer. Also as of right now, the backflow prevent costs $19.50, so not too shabby.

Matt February 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

In addition, the part numbers are as such:

T&S BRASS B-0970 – non-continuous pressure backflow preventer
T&S BRASS B-0970-FE continuous pressure backflow preventer

The continuous pressure one has two female ends so you’d need a male to male adapter to attach the sprayer hose and is a little more expensive ($38.42) and could be attached right to the main shutoff valve:

Sharalee March 3, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Why do you need this? How does adding a sprayer make it possible for such a backflow? There must already be some sort of thing preventing such a backflow on the toilet or you’d be drinking contaminated water already, right?

Ben the Plumber May 1, 2012 at 4:58 pm

You need this because fecal matter can get from the toilet bowl into the sprayer, since you are spraying fecal matter directly, and it can potentially splatter, or be accidentally dropped in the toilet. A pressure differential caused by using other fixtures while using this sprayer can cause backsiphonage into the potable water system. Yes, the toilet has backflow protection of a sort, but this is adding a separate water outlet and so has nothing to do with the means by which the toilet supply is protected from the contents of the bowl.

Matt March 5, 2012 at 11:00 am

I also found another backflow preventer that’s used for a hand held bidet (which is essentially what the author is making): http://www.sanicare.com/Hand-Held-Bidet-T-Fitting-Metal-or-Plastic-p/metal-t-fitting.htm ($24.95)

Marissa March 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

Matt that is absurd, from what they did there is no way for fecal matter to enter the clean water supply. They only adapted the clean water line which feeds the back tank of the toilet. They didn’t touch any of the plumbing that takes water from the toilet to the sewer/septic.

me March 7, 2012 at 6:42 am

There’s no reason to be so harsh, Marissa. Matt’s concern is that fecal matter could get on the sprayer head during use and works its way into the head and thus into the water. It’s the same reason they have backflow preventers on garden hoses – to prevent dirt getting into the hose and thus into the water supply. Many plumbing codes require backflow preventers in various places to prevent this sort of thing.

I do agree, however, that the likelihood of it happening is very small.

Ben the Plumber May 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm

The likelihood is actually not as small as it may appear – the fact that a male peeing may miss and contaminate the nozzle that way is very likely, or what if it is dropped into the toilet during diaper cleaning?

Sam July 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm

In fact this required by code for hand held bidets, and often for those movable shower heads you can detach. It is also required by code for many of the sink sprayer systems and dishwashers, most of those are found in the familiar form of a vacuum breaker. Greywater systems for laundry to landscape also require some sort of back flow preventer due to the possibility of back siphoning.

Marissa regardless of how likely this is to happen, the impact of such a contamination is HUGE, with the potential, and I do not exaggerate here, of contaminating your own domestic water supply as well as everyone “down stream” on the potable water supply. Nasty business this is. That is why it is smart to install because if something does happen to cross contaminate you have a big problem.

Justin July 18, 2012 at 7:48 am

Question,
Would a standard kitchen sink sprayer head already have a backflow preventer on it due to the code requirement? If not would a standard shower head have one? Could we just replace the kitchen sprayer with a shower head?

Also do the standard store bought sprayers have a backflow preventer? I haven’t seen anything that would indicate this.

I live overseas and making this myself is the best option.

Sam August 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Justin,

The answer is maybe, it may or may not have one. It is not required in all jurisdictions and so is not always included. That does not mean it is is a bad idea or silly. The most obvious example I can think of is the little cylindrical thing with the oval cut out on top of your sink next to your dishwasher. It is very common so see this with dishwashers. That is a vacuum breaker at a larger scale. Most new sink sprayers are connected in through that same line and so share the vacuum breaker with the dishwasher.

A standard corded shower head may or may not have one as well. Newer ones often do older ones often do not. Notice that fixed shower heads, and faucets do not need a vacuum breaker because they can’t be dropped, or left in standing water. Why don’t old ones use them and new ones do? Because we learned our lessons.

Trina July 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Curious if the name brand diaper sprayers have such a backflow nozzle in them..? If so, they would be the cheaper option in the end. If not, why wouldn’t they tell you to add this feature or include it with the product?

Lindsay March 7, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I am very interested in assembling my own diaper sprayer because of the reviews that the mass produced ones leak. Thanks for this tutorial!
I had a couple questions:
Does this have adjustable pressure?
Is the shut-off valve meant to be opened/closed with every use? (maybe that’s a dumb question)

gidget March 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I do open/close it every time I use it. The shut-off valve does adjust the pressure a bit- open all the way for full-strength.

Jamie March 9, 2012 at 9:00 am

Nicole, You stated you used flushable liners for your cloth diapers. Where did you find these?

gidget March 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Hi Jamie, I don’t use them anymore but when I did, I bought them online- diapers.com or maybe amazon even. I think Bummis makes them.

todd August 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm

elemeno-pee carries them. go to http://www.elemeno-pee.com/product_p/ocfl.htm
If they are out of stock, they will order them for you.

Mary August 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm
Daniel Rah March 11, 2012 at 11:05 am

Marissa – I think Matt’s comment is completely appropriate. People come over, see a sprayer on the toilet, and might think it’s a bidet. Also, splash back is possible from cleaning diapers too. If the sprayer gets contaminated, that can channel back into the fresh water supply.

Larry Slotnick March 11, 2012 at 8:08 pm

As Marissa said, that backflow preventer suggested by Matt is the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard. There is absolutely no need for that, as this DIY, or the retail version, is only taking tap water from the cold water piping in your home.
I’ll add that I assembled a diaper sprayer at my home a while back using “found parts” from my basement (I do occasional plumbing repairs around the house and I knew I had a kitchen sink sprayer) and, while it was a blessing to have this system, it did leak because it was really cobbled together and I never bothered looking for the appropriate T fitting. That was my laziness. Two weeks ago I found someone selling an unused “Mini-Shower” unit for $25 on Craigslist and jumped on it. They indeed are regularly $45. While I’m all about DIY, I must say that this is VERY well-made. Though I was first skeptical when I saw 1/4″ clear poly tubing instead of a kitchen-sink quality hose, the valve body is solid brass, chrome plated, with an integrated shut-off valve. There is a holder for the (plastic/chrome finish) sprayer that easily mounts on a wall next to the toilet, and the tubing/hose is around 4 ft, and can, of course, be trimmed if you’d like.
The only caveat, as on the system above, is that your water feed line to the toilet must be a flex hose — not rigid. Only tool needed – a 6″ adjustable wrench (plus a screwdriver to mount the sprayer holder.) Time – 5 minutes. You must be certain that the tubing is properly “seated” at its two connection points to have a non-leaking assembly. You have the peace of mind with the shut-off valve, AND, the entire assembly is hard-mounted to your 1/2″ plumbing, so that it can literally be a 1-hand operation to grab the sprayer, turn the valve to the “ON” position while holding the diaper in your other hand. Finally, the pressure issue is a non-issue with the Mini-Shower. Just open the lever valve all the way and the pressure is perfect.

Ben the Plumber May 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

While it may seem absurd to you, and you may be so confident of your own assessment of your knowledge acquired by the old “gut feeling” test, it is in fact a hazard, and would not be allowed to pass any plumbing inspection in any first world country. Just because there is a retail version available that does the same thing does not indicate that it has been approved by any adopted code authorities for that function. A hazard exists – to state confidently otherwise is to admit to having absolutely no idea.

Kevin March 21, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I like this idea but as a plumber by trade I would like to add that the vacuum breaker on a hose bib is a complete waste. It was made a code because there is a one in a billion chance that if you had your hose on with a chemical sprayer attached under pressure (not in use, just under pressure); if someone were to turn on the kitchen faucet to get a drink, the chemical/poison would travel through the hose, through the pipe and out the faucet into your glass. You would win the lottery several times in a roll before the above happened.

Sam July 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm

And if you win the lottery with this one it is a HUGE winning with the potential of contaminating lots and lots of other people’s water. Don’t wear your seat belt either, the chances are slight that you will get in an accident. History is replete with people who on the off chance infected lots of other people. Again it is not the likelihood it is the impact if it goes wrong.

Brittany September 17, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I’m pretty sure the chances of having an accident are way higher than the chances of backwash.
I’d compare the likelihood of this to a shark attack.
Sometimes people get hurt, so to protect everyone we either dont go in the water or we all have to where Kevlar suits while swimming in the ocean. And possibly fresh water as you never know.

K-Jay's MOM March 28, 2012 at 8:48 am

Cool will be talking the hubby into this!

Natasha April 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Thank you for this tutorial. It was easy to follow and non-plumber friendly. Unfortunately, my local Lowe’s didn’t have all the exact parts your tutorial called for so I had to purchase extra parts here and there. It ultimately made the project cost about $46, but that might also be that I live in Alaska and most things are more expensive up here anyway. But it was worth making it myself — I feel like a champ!

A couple of notes about this project:
First, I made sure to flush the toilet after turning off the water line so that water didn’t leak out as much. Also, I used pipe thread seal tape at every connection because there were little leaks, but that might be that I had to use more connections since I didn’t have all the exact parts you called for.

Thanks again!

carrie April 30, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Thanj you for sharing my husband after several trips to home depot was abke to use tbis and put together my sprayer for my diapers. It cost us under $20, a great savings compaired to mail order.

Mac May 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I just bought all items listed but the compression connector doesn’t fit. Am I doing something wrong?

Lee H May 27, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Great tutorial!
I’ve only heard of a diaper sprayer tonight. So I had to Google it to see what the heck one was. Seeing the images, my first thought that a mere kitchen sprayer would do the trick. I have to say whoever thought of such a gadget had their head on straight.
As I have a lifetime of construction and property maintenance behind me, I likely have all the parts on hand to build this without cost.
I’m posting now to back up Matts comment about back flow protection. His claim is far from “absurd” and shame to his critics ignorance for flaming him.
It’s hard to explain the science in a short comment. But imagine if a bit of fecal matter or even some watered down stuff that has splashed onto the nozzle. When the water is flowing… of course the stuff won’t travel up the line. But when you stop the flow, the fecal matter will dissolve and through the process of diffusion, will travel to the shut off point (the valve). Thus contaminating it. Next time the sprayer is used, trace amounts of the contaminates from the valve can make it’s way to the back side of the valve. Once the flow stops, whatever has gotten past the valve is now within the fresh water source and diffusion can happen again. Our bathroom is far from any water source that we would be drinking from so it’s unlikely we would be affected by this. But in many homes, the bathroom and kitchen are only separated by a wall.
So I deem Matt’s point valid. And kudos for him for trying to keep his fellow poo cleaning friends safe. :)

Laura McNabb June 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I just got everything hooked up but I turned on the water and it is leaking on the part where the hose connects. Not on the side of the nut where it connects to the shut off valve but the part where the hose come out of the nut. What am I doing wrong??? I really don’t want to go back to home depot. I’ve been three times for this project today and I’m about to just take everything back and order one online :( PLEASE HELP!

Laura McNabb June 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

UPDATE–I figured it out…I hadn’t put the washer that was taped on the sprayer package on the end of the sprayer. I put it in and now everything works perfectly! I didn’t have to go back to home depot a fourth time! I just realized it was taped to the package after staring at your pictures for a while! (I bought the exact same sprayer) One thing I had to do (with help from the Home Depot guy) I couldn’t find a male-female shut off valve so I had to buy a “nipple” to put in one end to make it work. That was VERY IMPORTANT to make this whole thing work. Thank goodness that man showed up because I had no idea what I was looking for to fix the valve! Anyway I’ve used my sprayer a whole bunch now and I want to thank you for the tutorial. I only ended up saving maybe $10 maybe not really anything after all the gas, but I felt accomplished and like many others said I’m sure this is much better quality that the ones you buy and I have had NO LEAKS! Yay!

Meghan @JaMonkey July 1, 2012 at 8:48 am

This is great but I have leaks to the shut off valve and no water pressure. Not enough to clean a dirty diaper anyways. I wish the hose on our kitchen sprayer was thinner. Does Moondoggie have any suggestions for this?
Meghan @JaMonkey recently posted..Ionic Deodorizer for your Refrigerator | Organsi

Vicki July 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm

This design looks great! But I’m wondering what the purpose of the filter connector splicer is exactly. Does it just make the hose assembly longer? I would think I could just pass on using the filter connector splicer, attach the shut off valve directly to the T fitting (with another fitting to make the two compatible?), then attach the sprayer hose to the shut off valve. It would have the added benefit of placing the shut off valve in a more stable, out of the way position as well.

Aaron Mathew July 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I just installed this sprayer idea tonight…. ITS AMAZING! My wife loves it and so do I!

Thank you!!!!!

Quentin McCart July 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Same thing as Mac. It is not fitting back to the valve. Its supposed to be 3/8″ but with a “flare cap” not a regular cap. I can’t find this online . . . Thanks.

Pam August 20, 2012 at 10:01 am

After spending much time trying to locate these parts (Watts link is not available) I contacted them directly and they gave me the new part # for the Adapt-a-Valve” T-fitting (3/8″ x 3/8″ x 1/4″)
Part number is 0725032

Me December 17, 2012 at 7:48 am

It is not really pleasant in cold environments where the water going thru that pipe is COLD only. I rigged my shower head with a two way so I can mix in some warm water for tushy washy.

Lael December 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Question after reading this and a bunch of comments from all the “plumbers” out there…

If there is such a crazy chance as to have fecal matter come back through the water supply, why even make it yourself with all the extra crazy parts you have to buy? I don’t know that I would want to have to get on my knees and reach behind the toilet every time in order to turn the valve on and off again. What a pain! Also- if it is up to code to get that extra part so many were talking about, wouldn’t the CD companies that sell sprayers already come with the kit? I think i’d rather just spend $10 more and get every thing already connected ready to go right out of the package, than have to worry about if I got all the correct parts… Not to sound cynical but help me out here!

gidget December 26, 2012 at 9:11 am

Honestly, Lael, I think some of those plumbers are a bit extreme. ;) We’ve used ours for a few years now and never had a problem. I like the DIY version because we could easily replace a part if something broke, rather than having to get a new one. You’re still going to have to get on your knees by the toilet to grab a store-bought one, and if they don’t have a shut-off valve that’d be a another reason to make one in my opinion, because I wouldn’t want the water pressure staying in the hose and not being able to be shut off. So just my two cents. :) By all means, buy one if the DIY work doesn’t seem worth it! It was a fun project for David back in the day. Not sure we’d be able to do it now with the craziness of life with 3 little ones, but back then it was easy for him to do once he figured it out.

Jessika September 5, 2013 at 9:23 am

I was also thinking that it would be a pain to add a shut-off valve, BUT then I realized it would be so much better to have that capability to turn it off with kids around. With the valve, they can’t just pick it up and spray, so that is a huge bonus in my opinion! Thanks for the tutorial!

carli retallack January 11, 2013 at 6:37 am

you could buy one on amazon foe 20 and free shipping and not need to worry about the code stuff or making it

Thomas January 28, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Watts fitting (-“Adapt-a-Valve” T-fitting (3/8″ x 3/8″ x 1/4″)) on Amazon:

DK January 30, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hi Gidget.

Thanks for the fantastic tutorial. I was able to make my own sprayer with very little effort. It works perfectly. Thank you!

Ashlei February 10, 2013 at 11:35 am

Found this post on Pinterest. My hubby and I went to Home Depot today. For $24.10 and about 15 minutes we installed our own diaper sprayer. Thank you so much for posting this. The instructions were so clear and easy to understand along with the list of items needed.
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Beth February 23, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I just made this today, mine is a little different, when I went to Menards, the plumbing guy gave me a little different set, but basically the same. I put it together SO fast and it was so easy! My husband plugged it in and now we’ve got an awesome diaper sprayer! We clothed our middle child, and with him I just used the sprayer from the tub because it was so close to the toilet, but we moved after we had #3, and during exclusive BF, no problems, now that we’re adding all these foods, it’s no good. I had been dunk and swishing (not cool!) and my husband kept saying we didn’t need a sprayer because we had a laundry sink downstairs, which we could wash the diapers out in, but then we had to clean the mess out of the tub. YUCK! Finally, I was doing homework and my husband had to change and clean his first diaper here. When he had to do the dunk and swish, he decided it was time to get a diaper sprayer.

Whitney February 24, 2013 at 10:13 am

I took my list to Lowe’s and ended up spending $38 (!!) on these supplies!

Ashley March 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I just did this today based on these instructions, for one it costed more like $40. And it is leaking at both ends of the shut off valve …not sure how to stop it…tried tightening it :/

Rachel March 7, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I have been trying to make this today. I have spent about $40 on this and have made multiple trips to various hardware stores. I guess I just can’t find the same things that you have listed on this. Hopefully I get it all figured out because I was so excited about this.

minime June 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm

A backflow preventer is mandatory in preventing harmful bacteria from a dropped or soiled bidet from multiplying and working backward to contaminate the water supply. Be sure to install one if you care about not getting sick or getting others sick as it’s most adverse effects would likely affect the ones in your own home.

Corey June 2, 2013 at 6:54 am

Thanks for this tutorial. I just installed everything and have no leaks, but now water slowly drips from the toilet tank into the toilet bowl. This then causes some watering hammering at the valve in the toilet tank. I recently installed all new toilet parts in the tank so I know it’s not a bad flapper or anything like that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Erin June 8, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Ours is still leaking on either side of the shut off valve. My husband tightened it with a wrench. Do we need to tighten them more??

LowesMan June 13, 2013 at 9:19 am

Yeah…You do relize that hand sprayers have pipe thread and all of the other fittings are compression?!

Drew July 8, 2013 at 2:05 pm

That 1/4″ male-female shutoff isn’t carried by Home Depot, Lowe’s or Ace here. I wonder if its possible to add the shutoff somewhere else in the chain so it’s 3/8″? The 1/4″ is too small to e sold around here, it seems.

Portable Laptop Charger July 17, 2013 at 8:13 am

Thank you very much, I be grateful for you making this article available, all
of those other website is also done well. Have a very nice day.
Thanks!
Portable Laptop Charger recently posted..Portable Laptop Charger

Howard August 15, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I love to read DIY posts on forums of people sharing what has been so useful for them. Thank you! I also enjoy laughing at the angry bantering that also accompanies nearly every forum. Thanks for the info and to the others, thanks for the entertainment. Will be making my own sprayer for my wife this weekend.

Christine August 16, 2013 at 6:45 am

I have seen some generic kits or less known brands that have everything you need, including a flexible line to replace you rigid one if need be, for cheaper than I could get at Lowes or other home improvement store. Amazon is great!

Monika R August 22, 2013 at 6:33 am

I know some of you will say EWWW, but what I do is I have a butter knife set aside in the bathroom to scrape the poop into the toilet and then I just soak the diapers in water mixed with baking soda in the bathroom sink, wring them out once or twice. When the water drains, I move the diapers to the washing machine, add a few drops of tea tree oil and mild detergent and that’s it. I brush the sink and the knife with a home made all natural cleaner (tea tree oil, soda, lavender oil for scent, vingear, water). I used to spray the diapers with water but I was always disgusted by the thought that I will get hit by a flying particles of poop. Did you ever have an issue like that?

Kat September 3, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Just got all my stuff from amazon and installed. (saved a lil bit by getting used sprayer from my mom who just replaced kitchen faucet)… As I got to the end of your instructions I noticed the compression adapter WITH a shut off valve. It wasnt listed in the shopping list and wonder where to get to keep the pressure out of the sprayer when not in use?

Kat September 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Ummm… Nevermind!

Kate October 1, 2013 at 10:02 am

For anyone wondering why you’d even bother making your own sprayer, I’ll give you my experience. We bought a sprayer from a major cloth dipe manufacturer and it broke within 4 months of installing it. A part cracked and since the part was made specifically for that sprayer, it couldn’t be replaced. And believe me, I tried! I asked at every hardware store around and even checked with a plumber friend if mine. So, $40 down the drain. If you build your own, you can obviously replace any parts that break.

Ali October 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. Couple questions: why do you go down to 1/4″? Why not stay at 3/8? What is the point of the ice maker line?

Suzanne Seale November 17, 2013 at 5:18 pm

This is similar to a bidet which can save toilet paper. The one I am going to suggest will not work for diapers though. Yes, I too saw it in south east asia and in Japan they have use bidets built into their toilets. It’s about time we took some notes and stopped wasting wood, gas and energy manufacturing so much that we just flush down the toilet.
What I have tried is to take a garden sprayer a small one that usually comes with Round Up or some other garden poisin. They have replacement parts so you both don’t have to buy the Round Up and you don’t have to worry about garden poison hurting you.
You take 3 feet of 1/4 to 5/8 flexible hose sold by the foot at Lowes and attach it the end of the sprayer.
Put the other end into the toilet fill tank. Using the same technique used to empty your fish tank, suck on the sprayer end with the handle held down so water starts flowing from the tank. You can stop sucking as long as you get it started and the sprayer end is lower than the tank end.
After this, use the sprayer when you use the toilet. You will be amazed how much toilet paper you save. And, it’s not just about saving toilet paper, it’s about not having to go buy the stuff and carry it home. Imagine we all started walking more, the first thing we’d want to give you buying is toilet paper since it’s so bulky.

Anul January 29, 2014 at 12:38 am

This is one of the really decent descriptions for an DIY diaper sprayer! Those pictures are so incredibly helpful!!!
There might have been thoughts whether you can skip that step with the ice maker supply line. You cannot. At least I have not found a way yet do do so but I also don’t know a lot about plumbing as to say that. The problem lies with all those different connections. There is an OD and MIP connection available. The valve comes with an OD connection. The T fitting comes with an MIP connection. Therefore, you need the compression union. But then you end up with two male ends, for which you will need the supply line with female ends.
Also, look out for the valves! I ended up ordering a cheaper one and was really annoyed getting one with lead in it! I had to buy a new one. Not sure, if this one in this DIY instruction contains lead.
I am sitting here with tons of little pieces and still haven’t decided yet what to do.. I ordered only those three parts as I thought I could skip the ice maker thingy. So first, the parts did not fit and now I bought additional supplies, which cost me 40CDN!!! I could not get a supply line and had to buy a new valve, a different t fitting, a compression union and a dishwasher line, items that are far more expensive. The guy in the store told me to do everything with 3/8” instead of going down to 1/4”. Not sure what to do but its quite frustrating. :(

Allyson March 24, 2014 at 10:42 am

This is a great tutorial. I’m going to ask my hubby to make one for me. We even have an old sprayer sitting around here from a tap that leaks (sprayer part is fine) hopefully we can use this and not hardly spend any $$.

Jamie April 1, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I made one similar. The only thing I would add is thread tape or teflon tape. :) I’m not sure exactly what we bought but we spent around $15.