Applesauce and Bread

by gidget on October 20, 2009

in family life,life is beautiful,more yummy recipes

sleeping

A mellow, sleepy-sick day for my little one makes for a perfect day to…

*lay on the couch all morning watching elmo and curious george*
*try making homemade applesauce with the apples lingering in the fridge*
*bake homemade bread*

applesauce 1applesauce 2

The applesauce is unbelievable. Just a little sugar, cinnamon, and a potato masher, and much easier than I thought thanks to SouleMama’s inspiration. I’m not sure I’ll ever buy it in the store again during apple season.

If you’re having a mellow day, here’s a great recipe for a bread that makes amazing toast and great sandwiches as well. When I’m on the ball we like to have a loaf in the fridge and one in the freezer for later.

Wilma’s Honey Whole Wheat Bread*
makes 2 loaves

5 C. whole wheat flour
1 T. salt
2 T. yeast
3 C. milk
1/2 C. honey
2 T. oil
2 – 3 1/2 C. white flour

Microwave milk for a couple of minutes to take the chill out; pour it in mixer (I use a kitchen aid mixer with bread hook attachment) and add yeast, salt, honey and oil.

Gradually add wheat flour. Mix. Add white while mixer is on, gradually, until dough starts to collect and doesn’t stick to bowl/hands. You really have to feel this part out.

Cover with towel and let rise for about 30 minutes.

Punch down, roll/flatten out (I don’t use a rolling pin). Make 2 flat rectangles, then jelly roll each one up into a cylinder that you can set in the greased pan, seam side down.

Cover with towel and let rise again in pans for about 20 minutes.

Bake for about 30 minutes at 350*. When done, brush the tops with butter while still in pans.

bread

*This recipe comes from my friend and pastor’s wife, Wilma, an amazing godly woman and mother of five!

{If you’re viewing this post on facebook or in a reader, you can visit Gidget Goes Home to leave comments or read more!}

Sarah Ladick October 21, 2009 at 10:17 am

the bread looks amazing! will have to try my hand at it sometime soon.

erika October 21, 2009 at 3:43 pm

I am so excited to try the bread!

tiffany October 23, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I tried it but changed it up. I used brown sugar instead and didnt mash the apples. I took them out of the brown sugar liquid and added a little butter and boiled to thicken up the sauce. Put the apples in a foil lined pan and covered with a little sauce and stuck it in the oven for a few minutes. It was pretty tasty. Would of been great with some granola.

Mary Walker April 8, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Hey! I tried the bread recipe and it was kind of a disaster. The dough was SO sticky, impossible to roll and I ended up lumping it in the greased pans. I’m waiting to put it in the oven, but it’s looking like kind of a mess. Any idea where I could have gone wrong?

gidget April 9, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Hi Mary! I’m not sure what happened. If it’s sticky I usually add more flour till I get to the max amount although I rarely need all of it. Did you do anything differently than the recipe?

Jo June 25, 2014 at 7:21 am

Hi, I don’t quite understand what you mean by …”then jelly roll each one up into a cylinder that you can set in the greased pan, seam side down.” Would you have photos to show thus step?
Thanks.

Heather @ My Overflowing Cup July 10, 2014 at 6:48 pm

The bread looks beautiful and the applesauce delicious. I like to have fresh bread and bread in the freezer. I pre-slice it before I freeze it to make it even easier. Honey and milk give it such a wonderful texture. I could never tire of fresh bread and melted butter. I’m always sad when I run out of homemade applesauce. The stuff from the store never tastes quite as good. Thanks for the recipes!
Heather @ My Overflowing Cup recently posted..Multi-Grain Apple Cinnamon Waffles