My Green Beauty Routine

by gidget on October 5, 2010

in green & natural living

DSC_0018

Katie on Simple Organic recently asked about green beauty routines because she’s looking for some new ideas. I admit, I need some new ideas, for makeup, too. I’ve yet to find the perfect (natural) mineral makeup.

So, this is my current green beauty routine, as well as things that I hope to add/change in the future.

The numbers listed are the hazard scores from the Skin Deep database. For a refresher on what it all means, you can read this article.

Body

• I wash my body with a handmade or natural bar soap.
  • I use coconut oil as body lotion (or occasionally Shikai Children’s Borage Lotion- 3 on Skin Deep). I’m hoping to switch to a MadeOn hard lotion bar (should be arriving in the mail next week!) as I’ve heard fabulous things about these.
  • I use Trader Joe’s mango shave cream (paraben-free). My hubby uses it for his face, too.
  • For sunscreen we use California Baby no fragrance SPF 30 (1 on Skin Deep), and Zinka for nose/lips when surfing.

Face

• When I wash my face at night (I don’t wear much makeup in the summer so I get lazy about face-washing this time of year) I use the oil-cleansing method; in the shower I use Dr. Bronner’s soap (right now we have the hemp citrus version- 1 on skin deep).
  • I’m using up an Avalon Organics face moisturizer but sometimes use coconut oil. I plan to switch completely to cocount oil or a hard lotion bar.

Hair

• I use California Baby Calming or Super Sensitive Shampoo and Conditioner (both a 1 on Skin Deep).
  • For hair frizzies I use a dab of coconut oil or jojoba oil.
  • I haven’t colored my hair since I got married (7 years ago!).

More Favorites

• Mascara & Eyeliner: Honey Bee Gardens (3 and 1, respectively on Skin Deep)
  • No-Miss Nail Polish
  • Burt’s Bee’s chapstick (2 on skin deep)
  • Deodorant: Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal (0 on Skin Deep)

I’d love to hear what you do in the comments! Be sure to check out all the comments over at Katie’s post, too!

Krissa October 5, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for sharing…I’m slowly switching over to greener choices as I run out of things–I just can’t throw stuff away and unfortunately stocked up at Costco before I started to try a greener approach. Anyway, pretty much the only thing so far is my deodorant…I recently started making my own with cornstarch (or arrowroot powder), baking soda and coconut oil. I was really nervous at first but it really works!
Krissa recently posted..Crazy about “C”

gidget October 5, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I haven’t tried that (the homemade deodorant) yet, Krissa, but I know it works for a lot of people! Maybe that will be my next venture. I used to always try to use things up but then I realized that the stuff that was really bad wasn’t worth the 5 bucks or so I spent on it. I kept and used up the stuff that wasn’t too bad though. It is hard to throw it away!

Brooke October 6, 2010 at 11:38 am

Ummm… love this. Thank you so much for sharing your product choice, though I must admit I’m a bit jealous of your simple skincare routine! xo

Alicia October 9, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for this! I use a lot of these but the oil cleaning method was new to me. Guess I’d better get some castor oil. :)
Alicia recently posted..Harvest recipe- Golden Delicious Apple Bread

Mamabear October 10, 2010 at 6:36 am

I need some help with makeup too…I did a post on how we tossed all the parabens and icky stuff this year, but I need to follow up with my thoughts on the makeup I tried. I wound up making the switch to safer choices because after my youngest child was born in March, my skin was going crazy from the hormones and Spring allergies. I can’t believe the difference it has made for all of us! We are also better able to appreciate the “real” smells of essential oils and naturally occurring fragrances. We absolutely love the madeon products.

Stephanie October 10, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I make my own shampoo. I use 5 Tbsp. of castille soap, 2 Tbsp. of almond oil, and 3/4 cups of water. Just put all the ingredients into a spray bottle and shake before you use it. You might need to adjust the oil if you have super oily hair, but you shouldn’t need any conditioner. If you do, try vinegar. Also, with this homemade shampoo, I am able to wash my hair every other day. Hope you like it! BTW, I use this to shave with also!

Rachel October 12, 2010 at 3:00 am

I use olive oil instead of shave cream. I keep a yogurt cup in the shower with about an inch and just leave my razor in it. Shake off excess and start shaving.

gidget October 12, 2010 at 8:21 pm

great idea, Rachel. Might have to try that!

jackie October 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

I was doing the no ‘poo method (baking soda/vinegar) for a while, and still do the OCM. have you tried lanolin as a chap stick? it lasts so long and really helps my lips. i also use it on my cuticles and heels.