Spiced Apple Ice Cream

by gidget on October 6, 2010

in ice cream

spiced ice cream

“If the sheer sensual joy of eating homemade ice cream is enough for you to shed your guilt [of healthism/nutritionism], throw away phony industrial foods, and return to eating real foods, all the better.” ~Nina Planck, Real Food

DSC_0015

Looking for a delightfully autumnish ice cream recipe? This one is sure to hit the spot! I modified a recipe from ReadyMade Magazine article abou the book, Spice Dreams (guess I need to get a copy of that!), with Jeni’s method of a no-egg custard.

After you go pick your fall apples, you’ll definitely want spare some for this treat.

DSC_0003

DSC_0010

DSC_0011

Leah October 6, 2010 at 7:50 am

Hey Nicole!
This looks great! Any idea what I can substitute for the rice syrup? No way I can get that here. And heavy cream for you guys has how much fat percentage? Thanks so much!!
Leah

Brooke October 6, 2010 at 11:37 am

Oh my gosh… my mouth is seriously watering right now. YUM!

milly October 6, 2010 at 6:17 pm

So funny, I just finished making homemade mango ice cream using coconut milk, frozen mangos and raw sugar in my vitamix. Ours tasted like sorbet. I will try apple pie soon…probably a simpler version!!!

gidget October 6, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Leah, one of the original recipes called for corn syrup (I just don’t like to use it) so if you have that you could totally use it. The heavy cream I have and usually use has 6 grams of fat (8% daily value).

Krissa October 6, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Yum…this sounds SO good and I love that I can print it out!!!

Patty Wood October 6, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I would want to use the apple recipe and make it into pie or crisp. And tone down the sugar too!

gidget October 6, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Patty, I bet the apples would be delish in a pie or crisp! I significantly lowered the sugar from the original recipes, but of course it can still be adjusted, depending on taste and apple tartness. :)