Prayer for Simon

by gidget on December 31, 2011

in makin' a difference

pray for simon

UPDATED 1/2/12: Visit his new Facebook page to leave messages for the family!

Here is the latest update on Simon from Rena:

Simon rested well through the night with stable stats. They might give him an MRI today to give them a better idea of where damage might be. Our neurosurgeon read his latest ct scan and it looks like there might be damage on the left side of his brain possibly caused by a stroke. He isn’t moving his right side nearly as much or as strongly as his left. Also some tests came back showing he has some sort of bacterial infection, which he could have had before the hospital since we’ve been fighting colds. They put him on antibiotics and he has been coughing a lot of gunk up, which is good and shows that it is loosening. Pray that they can move towards the extubation today and waking him up and that he is able to fully recover, especially on his right side. Also pray for clear, positive results from the MRI and wisdom for the doctors & nurses as they proceed and continue to make decisions for Simon’s healing.

And from Jesse, Simon’s dad, here is more of an explanation of what happened over the last 5 days:

I got home today and was able to use my FB. I greatly amazed at the sheer volume of prayer being lifted up for Simon. I thank GOD so much for all of you. I praise him for protecting Simon through a VERY critical injury.

On Thursday night as we were getting the boys ready for bed. Rena’s sister was taking Simon out of the bath. She stood him up on on the bathroom floor to wrap the towel down around him and he ran for the door. He slipped as he turned down the hall and fell directly onto his head. He never lost consciousness but showed symptoms of a concussion so Rena brought him to urgent care. While there he threw up so the doctor was concerned that the was an increasing pressure in his head so she sent them to the Hospital for a CT scan. The CT scan showed massive bleeding and later the Neurosurgeon said he had almost died while the ER team were stabilizing him. He was transported to Rady Children’s Hospital where he had surgery to stop the bleeding. The fall had apparently cracked on of the cranial bones and it had cut an artery that ran beneath it. The surgeon was incredibly skill and the surgery had a miraculous outcome. The following day they followed up with a second CT scan to determine if there was additional bleeding and to look for damaged brain tissue. There was no additional bleeding but as he has been waking up there was evidence that there was possibly stroke damage. He showed signs of weakness in his right side and the Neurosurgeon restudied the CT scan and identified a small portion of the brain that was damaged that particularly controls movement. That is where we stand.

Pray for Simon as the ICU team work to remove the ventilator. Pray for growing strength as he wakes up. Pray that he stays free from infection. Pray that he is responsive to physical therapy as we reach that stage in his recovery. Pray for patience for Rena and I. Pray for Rena’s family as they take care of Liam (Simon’s big brother). Pray for Liam that he is patient and understands what happened to Simon. Thank you for lifting us up to GOD.

Thank you God for holding us in your hands and for your spirit of strength in our hearts. Thank you God for your Spirit of healing in Simon. AMEN.

Keep on praying, friends and I will update this page when we have a place setup where you can donate towards the Frey family’s expenses with all of this. For now, you can visit this page to message the family.

I also wanted to post this prayer that Rena’s cousin posted on her FB page, so you can join us in praying it for them.

***LORD, may you refresh and surprise Rena and Jesse with joys today. May Simon’s brain and body be completely healed from trauma. Lord, we pray that you continue to perform miracles with his little life, and that there would be NO stroke or brain damage. We know you can do this, LORD! Nothing is too great or small for you. May Rena and Jesse rest in your capable and mighty arms, knowing that you supply for their every need. In Jesus’ Holy Name, Amen.***

PRAISE from last night (1/1/12)!

Rena posted this message late last night:

He just opened one eye really quickly! But he’s still going to be asleep and rest for the night to let his lungs heal. Pray that his lungs clear up and that they are able to hear a “leak” which means that his vocal area has decreased in swelling. Also pray that both Jesse and I will get super sufficient and restful sleep tonight.

and then shortly after, this:

Just fifteen minutes after I had posted about Simon’s lungs, the nurse came in and heard a “leak” and another nurse just told me that his lungs while breathing (listening through a stethoscope) sound “really good”. God is so powerful! And we continue to pray that we can be a light and a witness to those here at the hospital! I am blown away by God’s mercy and grace!

Thank you Lord, for being at work in this situation, as literally thousands of believers lift up Simon and the Frey family!

You just never expect things like this to happen.

A freak thing can turn serious so fast.

One of my best friends Rena’s youngest son Simon is fighting for his little life right now at Children’s Hospital.

Would you lift him and his family up in prayer with me?

Here’s what happened in his mom’s own words. It all started Thursday evening, December 29th.

He slipped while getting out of the bath and smacked his head on the tile. We went to urgent care where he threw up and now they are sending us to the hospital in an ambulance for a ct scan. Please pray for quickness and clarity of results and peace of mind.

He has an epidural hematoma on the surface and is being life-flighted to children’s for immediate surgery. Please keep praying. I’m in shock right now.

The doctor said Simon’s surgery went as well as expected, but he is in really bad shape. The next 24 hours are crucial with the possibility of a stroke. Please keep praying for his brain to heal with full recovery.
Simon is stable and was moving/twitching by himself which is a good sign. He should be getting a CT Scan soon to show us how the damage is. Now we just wait and see. Thank you so much for the extent of prayers and encouragement. It is greatly appreciated. God is good & in control and Simon is in His hands.

The official ct scan results are not in yet, but the neurosurgeon looked at them and said he was very happy with the results. He said, “Simon isn’t out of the woods yet, but I am cautiously optimistic.” They could differentiate the white and gray matter which is very good and Simon’s brain has gone back to where it is supposed to be and he didn’t see signs of a possibility of a stroke. Just waiting now for healing.

We just got back from lunch and Simon’s blood pressure is elevating, has a fever and his heart rate is very high. Please keep praying!!!!!! They are concerned about this sudden change.

Simon’s stats are stable and the nurses are encouraged because he is moving slightly when they mess with his intubation. He is still heavily medicated and they are trying to slowly wean him back to consciousness. We were able to go to the Ronald MacDonald house for dinner and showers. Back in Simon’s room hoping to get some sleep. Please pray for his stats to remain stable through the night.

Jesse and I were able to rest a bit. Simon’s stats remained stable through the night, but he’s starting to move and wake up and struggle against the intubation, so they are medicating him more. This is a good sign because it shows brain function. Also, he’s moving his left side a little, which makes us happy since the damage was on the right side of his brain. Please pray that his temp stays low (it was starting to rise a little bit), so his metabolism can move slowly giving his brain a chance to rest.

Also, we are overwhelmed by the amazing amount of people praying for us and feel so encouraged. We serve a powerful, faithful God and we are leaning and trusting in His plan for our son. Thank you so much to everyone for spreading the word of Simon and for caring so much!

Rena and Jesse love the Lord and I know that He is going to use this trial in a mighty way in their hearts, no matter what the outcome. He is good and faithful and loving, and I’ve been thanking Him that He loves little Simon more than anyone on earth.

Social media is funny. I feel like we constantly hear complaints of how it’s become so all-encompassing in our modern lives. But the thing is, it can be an amazing tool as well. I’ve been overwhelmed at the sight of hundreds of prayer warriors rallying around my dear friend and her family.

So I just wanted to ask a few more people to pray for Simon’s recovery. May the Lord save Him so that this little guy might grow up to do great things for the Lord.

Rena & Jesse, be strong, and let your hearts take courage, all you who wait for the Lord! {Psalm 31:24}

Non-Mommy December 31, 2011 at 10:49 am

Definitely praying. God is faithful, even in the bad times.
Non-Mommy recently posted..My New Year’s Resolutions

Laura's Last Ditch--Adventures in Thrift Land December 31, 2011 at 11:01 am

Praying here, too. I think of all the times my little one ran. So scary, that this could happen to anyone, with no warning whatsoever.
Laura’s Last Ditch–Adventures in Thrift Land recently posted..A Tinful of Memories

Lael December 31, 2011 at 11:06 am

I’ve been praying for that sweet little boy ever since I’ve heard abt this tragedy. God IS so faithful and is Sovereign over all! Thanks for the update! Soli Deo Gloria!

Julie Korpan December 31, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Get well, little Simon. We are all here thinking about you and praying for your quick recovery. 2012 awaits you!

laurie December 31, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Lord~
I don’t know this family, but I know they love you and I know they trust in you and know that you are good, regardless. Lord we pray for complete recovery for Simon. We pray for the heart of a mama that is trusting you, but cannot help but worry. We pray that you give that heart peace. We pray also for the heart of a daddy who feels the need to be strong but is fearful. We pray that you would give that heart strength and peace as well. We pray your hand on this situation Lord, on the doctors that they would be wise and steady, for the nurses that they would be competent and show compassion. We ask these things in Jesus name~ Amen.

Gretchen December 31, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Maddie has been keeping us updated through Resa. How interesting to get this via another friend!
God is on control in health and illness! You know this.
Dear Lord-we know Your Word, help us to live by it when ALL the chips are down!!!
Let us know if we can help in any way.
Love,
The Pearson’s

Lisa December 31, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Rena and Jesse, the news appear to show slight improvement in Simon. As a fellow Christian, I lift you and Simon up and pray, pray, pray that God’s Will continue to guide Simon’s recovery.

Kara Fleck December 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Oh, my goodness! I cannot even imagine …. as someone else said, I am thinking about how my kids run everywhere.

We are praying!
Kara Fleck recently posted..2011 Reader Favorites

Kimm December 31, 2011 at 6:21 pm

We are praying and passing this on. Thanks for posting this!
Kimm recently posted..How to Keep a New Year’s Resolution

Tammy Guerrero December 31, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I’m praying for the doctors to be guided by the Lord, for them to be wise and skillful.
I’m praying for Simon and his family, that they feel God’s touch, His comfort, His peace, and that they physically feel His presence and even His hugs!
I’m praying for Simon, for physical healing, a complete recovery, and that he continues to grow in wisdom and understanding to fully comprehend God’s love for him.
I know this set of prayers is a tall order, but I had a sweet little boy 23 years ago that went through quite a trauma (and us along with him), but God is amazing and He will care for Simon and his family.
Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
New International Version
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Karina December 31, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I am a friend of Risas at The Gathering. I want you guys to know that baby Simone is in my prayers throughout the day and I will continue to pray for him. God is going to restore his health back and guide you guys through this healing process stay strong:) Praying

Milly December 31, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Oh Precious Simon….our family is praying hard for your life and family. We look forward to God’s mighty and sovereign hand healing you and using your life shine His goodness. We serve a God of Wonders….

Joey January 1, 2012 at 12:02 am

Dear Jesus, I love you and trust you with all my heart. I lift up little Simon to you right now. I know that none of this ordeal goes un noticed to you, but I beg you on his behalf. I pray for the next 24 hours specifically. I pray that his vitals remain stable and only get better. I pray for peace for the family, rest, trust, and hope. Father, I know that all things are possible through you. I know that you are able to safe the life of Simon. I trust in your timing and your good will. Father, thank you for this little soul. In your Holy and perfect name I praise and thank You. Amen.

Emily Kates January 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

praying or this baby and family!

Maureen Baeten January 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I’m praying and I have asked my friends and family to pray!

Deanna L January 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Rena & Jesse,
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you right now. I can’t imagine what you are going through. I do know how helpless you feel sitting at your child’s hospital bedside but I also know you are in one of the BEST medical facilities. God bless you guys.

renee @ FIMBY January 2, 2012 at 11:34 am

Dear God. I started praying as soon as I saw this in my reader yesterday. Read more of the details today.

Everything we have, all blessing, all health, are just gifts given and we hold them lightly in our hands. Posts like this remind of this. Praying for Simon and his family.
renee @ FIMBY recently posted..New Year’s Intentions ~ One Bite at A Time (with Giveaway!)

Kim Marsolais January 2, 2012 at 11:42 am

Our family is praying for you through this tough time. We know that the Lord God is the God of all comfort and He does get us through these tough times. We have experienced this first hand several times. Thank you for the updates. We will continue to watch for them and pray for Simon’s complete healing. May you continue to look to our Lord for strength and comfort only He can give, His mercies are new evry morning!

Jenny McCavera January 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I did pray and will continue in prayer for Simon, parents and family. I will continue praying. God is a miracle worker; healing comes from Him; I believe Simon is a miracle to all that believe on miracle living testimonies. As he grows older his testimony will follow him, and where ever he goes he will be sharing his testimony to others. To God be the Glory!!!

Anita January 2, 2012 at 7:52 pm

May God be with this family and work all His wonders and a miracle through the skill of the doctors and nurses who are attending to little Simon.. We thank you Lord for your Mercy and compassion for this family and for your little child Simon. I ask for complete Trust in you from the family and all those who are praying for Simon’s healing. Mary , Our Mother in Heaven, pray for little Simon to be healed and for healing to those who need your Son’s healing touch in their lives.

Rena and Jessa I will continue to pray for you and Simon and for a complete recovery.
God Bless you all.

Sandra Foster January 2, 2012 at 11:50 pm

May God bless and keep you and hold you in the palm of his hand! May he heal Simon soon! I hope all will be well with you and your whole family. Just hold tight to each other anhd know God loves you!

Lesli January 4, 2012 at 11:40 am

I am praying for healing for Simon and peace for your whole family. I’m a member of St John’s in Orange, CA and I heard about your sweet angel. God has a plan and I know He can make a way when there seems like there is no way!!!

Zinedine January 6, 2012 at 4:32 am

That very unfortunate.
Praying with my family right now. I hope he will be fine.
Zinedine recently posted..What Degree Should i Get

Courtney January 6, 2012 at 8:10 am

I just found your blog. I am a fellow San Diego stay at home mom who blogs, and although my boys are a bit older, I love finding people with similar lifestyles. :-)
I am so sorry to hear about your friends and their son. I will add them to our families prayer list for sure. Stay positive and keep praying.
Courtney recently posted..Today’s Shoes

Annette Golphin January 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Hello Gidget. You can count on me a prayer for Simon. Glad to know his great changes, just trust in the Lord that he saves Simon and he totally recovers. Just keep on praying and trusting the Lord whatever happens. I will pray for Simon. God Bless You!
Annette Golphin recently posted..Timber Windows – a renovators delight.

Joana February 23, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Never fear Simon God is here always.
Joana recently posted..Oxycodone Addiction – It’s Just Medicine Right?