love & coffee

by gidget on June 5, 2013

in love & marriage

Affogato love

On our recent trip we bought some fresh-roasted local organic coffee (read: YUM) to our friends who hosted us along the way. I knew two of the couples were coffee drinkers, but I wasn’t sure of the third, parents of one of David’s childhood friends. I soon found out that Debi and Jack don’t just drink coffee, they adore it.

As we enjoyed more conversation with our hosts I shared what I really wanted for our ten-year anniversary (later this month!) was for David to develop an appreciation for coffee so we could enjoy it together. It might sound superficial, but there’s just something about enjoying coffee that I long to do with him.

At this, Debi lit up as she told us how she and Jack enjoy their coffee every morning, sipping it and reading their Bibles together. Of course at this I looked over at David with a happy sigh and big puppy dog eyes. That! That sounds lovely!

Affogatos & Arrested Development! Well, I might have worn him down a bit finally. After making the all-important point that hey, it’s no more bitter than beer… you like beer, so you’ve got to be able to develop a taste for coffee!, he succumbed with minimal protest to sampling an affogato over Arrested Development with me the other night.

Maybe you’ve been indulging in these for years, but they are a new-found favorite treat for me. Affogato is simply a fancy Italian word referring to ice cream drenched in espresso.

Just a simple scoop of vanilla each and then we split a single shot of decaf Mocca Java. Heavenly to my taste buds. Mmmm… It’s like coffee ice cream on crack.

When I asked David if he liked it he didn’t wince in disgust like I thought he might. “I like the ice cream…” he said, like a skeptic who’s open to exploring something new.

It’s a start, people. It’s a start.

I’ve got to know, is there anyone else out there who’s unequally yoked with their spouse in terms of their love of coffee?

Emma June 6, 2013 at 2:53 am

Story of my life. Coffee lover married to coffee hater. Sigh. I even bought a pod machine so that he can make me coffee… coffee is one of my love languages :)

gidget June 13, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I think it’s one of my love languages, too. Now if only we could chat over a cup of coffee together again one of these days… :)

Breanne June 6, 2013 at 4:20 am

This made me smile. I’m married to a coffee lover, it’s one of our ‘things’ but I have friends who love coffee and are married to water-lovers.
I’m learning to love beer so that we can drink more then one drink together. ;-)
Breanne recently posted..On Sipping Coffee and a Morning Cycle

gidget June 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

We recently learned to love beer together… maybe that’s what spurned this deep desire to also share a love coffee!!

Christine C June 6, 2013 at 4:46 am

I’m a relatively recent convert to coffee (since the babies!) and I’m not picky. Hubs HATES it. Says it tastes like dirt. He will have a cup of tea or cocoa when I have some. That’s as far as we get!

Rena June 6, 2013 at 5:15 am

It sounds like a “coffee float”! Yummy!!
Rena recently posted..Things I’m Diggin’

Sandy June 6, 2013 at 6:06 am

Oh yes. We’ve been married for almost 27 years, together for 31. I remember him telling a friend once that, “when I want to be romantic, I drink coffee with Sandy.” His friend responded with, “You mean you’d fall asleep otherwise?” :-D
So after 30 years of caffeinated romancing, he is able to actually enjoy a cup of joe. Hang in there, fight the good fight, persist in brewing good! And one morning you just may come downstairs to find him sipping a mug o’ goodness just because he wants to!

Katherine June 6, 2013 at 8:53 am

Coffee lover married to a coffee hater. He tried tea for awhile so that we could at least drink warm beverages together, but he didn’t like that either. So he drinks hot cocoa or Mountain Dew, and I have coffee. He knew right away that I was a coffee lover though – on our first date, he brought me a bag of my favorite coffee instead of flowers. :)
Katherine recently posted..May Goals Update

Sheila June 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Coffee hater happily married to a coffee hater. We share a love for Diet Coke. I dislike even the smell of coffee. I know a lot of people who don’t like to drink it like the smell, but it is very unpleasant to me. Surprisingly, we have a daughter who is a natural coffee lover. She is limited in how often and how much she drinks, of course, but she likes it all.

Joyce June 6, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Is this going to be a series? :) Let us know what else you can add coffee to and see if he likes it. :p
Joyce recently posted..“To Walk or Stay” Book Club :: Chapter 8 Discussion {Waiting in Belief}

Sarah June 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm

My husband isn’t much of a coffee drinker. I could get over that if he were more of a sit and enjoy the sunset kind of person :) But honestly, I kind of use coffee as “me time.” It’s a special treat, all my own :)
Sarah recently posted..LL and his Aunt Mary

Lisa June 11, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I’ve been meaning to check in here for a couple days – yup, another coffee lover married to a coffee hater! He doesn’t like any hot drinks, actually. He doesn’t like ice cream either! But he does love me and I’ve realized that’s better than the vision I had of us both at the table late at night, or lingering at the table on a Sunday morning, talking about the kids or the future or the latest Parks & Rec, all with our hands wrapped around steaming mugs. There are other vehicles for all that good talk.

I DID just this winter become a bourbon lover – his thing that I always hated – so perhaps there’s hope for me yet!!
Lisa recently posted..Summer reads

Rae June 12, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I actually got my hubby started on coffee… Really ironic because I don’t actually like it myself. I have been thinking about this very thing, though, and I would love to learn to like coffee. I think it would be very enjoyable to sit on the porch and sip coffee with my hubby. The only thing with coffee in it I’ve been able to tolerate is a mocha, and only one time. Sadly, it was pretty much just tolerating and I can’t say that I actually enjoyed it. Any suggestions? :)

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy June 27, 2013 at 4:31 am

It took nearly a DECADE of knowing my husband and pushing coffee on him before I finally got him hooked. (The secret: grad school + baby + full time job = too tired to function without it.)

Now, about 8 years post-conversion, he might be a bigger coffee snob than I am. People can change. :)
Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy recently posted..Surround them with good stuff and give them room to dive in