One bowl oatmeal blender pancakes {gluten-free}

by gidget on February 26, 2014

in family life,more yummy recipes

You know how every now and then you find a recipe that is super simple to prep and deemed delicious by all family members? It’s a home run! Well that’s what these pancakes are in the Bennett house.

oatmeal banana nut pancakes

Gluten-free pancakes made with coconut or almond flour never suited my preferences completely in their texture. But at soon as I tried this oatmeal-textured pancake I knew it would be a hit.

DSC_0001

I started with a recipe from Renee at FIMBY (who had herself adapted it from elsewhere), made a few changes to suit our preferences and we’ve been making it a few times a month at least since then.

IMG_7961

We’ve tried this recipe with a handful of variations and it’s been tasty each time. Last night’s version was banana pecan; pumpkin chocolate chip has been a favorite, too.

DSC_0003

Since I have an immersion blender, I just make it all in one bowl– my batter bowl that has measurements on it– starting with measuring the milk, and then dumping everything else in. The blender grinds up the oats nicely- you could probably also make this right in a high-powered blender if you have a Vitamix or BlendTec (I don’t unfortunately), too, or blend it in a couple of batches if you have a regular blender.

oatmeal pancakes

IMG_8489

If you’re looking for a gluten-free (just make sure to get gluten-free oats) pancake staple, look no farther. We make this most Saturday mornings now and sometimes (like last night!) for dinner, too.

Morgan February 27, 2014 at 10:54 am

I have been experimenting with pancake recipes – I need to try this! Thanks for sharing :).

Joyce February 27, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Immersion blender!! Genius! I will have to try this one. And we always have bananas in our pancakes. :)
Joyce recently posted..Splatter Art Gift Bags

Stacey February 28, 2014 at 10:33 am

Thanks for mentioning the immersion blender. I just made oatmeal pancakes in the food processor, but the immersion blender is lots easier to clean. Yahoo!

Stacey March 7, 2014 at 9:53 am

I’m going to try this recipe tomorrow for our Saturday morning pancakes. I saw pure maple syrup for the first time today. 55 Turkish lira, or $25 for not much syrup! I didn’t buy it. But we like honey, jelly, or Nutella, too.

Mary April 18, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Can you taste the banana? We don’t care for the flavor. Is there a substitute maybe?

gidget April 19, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Yep- you can always go the pumpkin route– you’ll see the option in the recipe. :)

Mary April 19, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Wow. Not sure how I missed that! Lol

Cindy April 23, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Is the liquid correct in the recipe? If so, I’m guessing the oats need to be covered while soaking? I’m no novice in the kitchen and I’ve soaked grains and nuts for years, but this didn’t go well for me. Had to throw away a very crust oat mixture this morning. I’m anxious to try again … Help please. :)

gidget April 23, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Hi Cindy! This recipe doesn’t call for the oats to be soaked. I often think that I should do that for the benefits of soaking but you’re right, that would probably require a lot more liquid (and advanced planning!). ;) Let me know if you find out a liquid amount that works to soak, and if you don’t soak them, hopefully the batter will come out right! :)

Cindy April 23, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Oops… I meant,” a very CRUSTY oat mixture…”

Cindy April 29, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Oops! This isn’t the recipe I made. I also saved this to try but the one I made had only 1/2 c. Of liquid and did require soaking. This one will be my next attempt and I will soak the oats. This time, if it doesn’t seem like enough liquid, I’ll adjust and report here! Thank you for your response!

Tammy May 17, 2014 at 7:56 am

How large of a can of pumpkin purée? I have both large and small cans. I used 3/4 small and seems to be working great, but curious of your recipe. Thanks!!

gidget May 23, 2014 at 11:12 am

I use half of a 15-oz can. Sorry I didn’t clarify that! It seems like the kind of recipe that doesn’t require a very precise measurement though. ;)

Lydia @ The Thrifty Frugal Mom November 30, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Oh we love pancakes around here but sometimes we have guests that can’t have wheat and and sometimes I just get hungry for something different. So, I can’t wait to try these!

I’m not a fan of banana though and am wondering if you taste it here?
Lydia @ The Thrifty Frugal Mom recently posted..Amazon: K’Nex for $11.98